Freedom Haven is an
open-design low cost socioeconomic-freedom seasteading project in
international waters which seeks to be the most affordable
seasteading solution (that can offer this level of freedom) to date with the goal of having square footage of open-sea-safe living space
at $316/square-foot ($50,505/TEU) paid as a 5-year lease. Supporters meet on Facebook and
other platforms to collaborate gratis on the design of the main initial structure (called "New Liberty") and
tax-free pseudo-anarchist government. Multiple floating and
sea-floor-mounted structures containing living quarters, boat dry
docks, stores, businesses, manufacturing, etc, work together to form
a peaceful nation that could survive life at sea, while permanently
anchored in international waters free from the jurisdiction of existing nations that lack the freedoms that we seek.
While recognition as an independent nation is not required for the success of this project, we do plan on qualifying as such a State under Article 1 of the "Montevideo Convention":
"The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications:
- (a) a permanent population;
- (b) a defined territory;
- (c) government; and
- (d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states."
Current Status: Gratis Designing (We are NOT ready for funding yet, but we welcome gratis contributions of knowledge and time in our design)
Join the discussion
on our facebook groups: Creating a Libertarian Seasteading Micronation - A general discussion about creating a Libertarian Seasteading nation.
Freedom Haven Government Role-Play - This is where we design the Freedom Haven Constitution and tackle tough government-related issues Freedom Haven may face.
Freedom Haven Constitution - Current draft version of our Constitution (Now with interactive HTML, audio-book versions, etc))
Current visual draft
notes from of our high-level design (click on image to enlarge) - more details are available in the discussions at the links above
Possible sites we're considering in international waters with a seabed shallow enough to anchor at. Some examples are circled below but there are more options than these. More discussions on this at our "Creating a Libertarian Seasteading Micronation" facebook group. (Modified from original wikimedia source image)
The current plan has the purchase and building of New Liberty occurring in 4 phases (with lessons learned from each phase likely affecting plans in the following phases):
- Phase 1 R&D 1/500th scale model (currently in process):
- $0. This will be built out-of-pocket as the initial design gets fine tuned, 3d printed, and then built again with the correct materials and weights (as much as is possible at that small scale) for wave testing, etc.
- 5 pieces, each around 177mm x 59mm x 45.8mm, which connect together (plus a custom corner) for a combined size of around 236mm x 236mm x 45.8mm
- Possible locations for small model: Suitable for wave tanks, pools, and maybe rivers. Small enough to carry.
- Phase 2 R&D 1/87th (HO/H0) scale model:
- $5 per TEU (current estimate) until all 4,000 TEUs are accounted for
- 5 pieces, each around 2.034m x 0.678m x 0.526m, which connect together (plus a custom corner) for a combined size of around 2.712m x 2.712m x 0.526m
- Possible locations for larger model: Mississippi River, Ephemerisle, and other locations we're invited to. Will need to be hauled in a custom trailer we'll be constructing for this purpose.
- Phase 3 R&D 1/10th scale model:
- $500 per TEU (current estimate) until all 4,000 TEUs are accounted for
- 5 pieces, each around 17.7m x 5.9m x 4.58m, which connect together (plus a custom corner) for a combined size of around 23.6m x 23.6m x 4.58m
- Possible locations for this massive model: Sheltered harbor/bay. Will be built at the destination location.
- Phase 4 Final Structure Build:
- $50,000 per TEU (current estimate of average – some will cost more or less depending on chosen location and weight limits) until all 4,000 TEUs are accounted for. The total price for a resulting TEU is the costs of R&D from phases 2 and 3 plus the phase 4 cost.
- 5 pieces, each around 177m x 59.m x 45.8m, which connect together (plus a custom corner) for a combined size of around 236m x 236m x 45.8m
- Possible locations for full scale structure: Anywhere on earth in International waters (outside the EEZ of all existing nations). Will be built at sea.